A few weeks back we moved into a stunning 112-year old house which is situated…
Situated to the south-east of Australia, New Zealand is one of the most beautiful countries to visit in the world. It’s the reason why it was chosen as the filming location for “The Lord of the Rings”. But it’s unspoiled and diverse scenery is not the only reason why people visit the country. Other popular attractions include:
1. The people. Fondly referred to as “Kiwis”, the local people are very friendly and welcoming to visitors. The country features a mix of cultures with the Maori and British influences being very prominent.
2. Outdoor adventures. With numerous outdoor adventures such as tramping, kayaking, surfing, skiing, sailing and snowboarding, visitors have a lot of fun activities to do. Remember this is the country that invented and popularised bungy jumping.
3. Unique wildlife. Because of its isolated nature, the flora and fauna found in the country are unique and unlike any in the world. These include the kiwi, a small flightless bird found nowhere else in the world.
4. The climate. With a temperate climate, New Zealand has moderate temperatures with long warm summers and cold enough winters to provide adequate snow for winter sports such as skiing and snowboarding.
The reasons for visiting New Zealand are numerous. If you’re planning a trip to the country, you can be sure you’ll have a great time.
Like any other destination, however, there is the common problem of pests. Visitors should take care to avoid any inconveniences that they could cause.
Pests to watch out for when visiting New Zealand
Because New Zealand is an Island, not many types of pests are present in the country, and the majority of the few that exist were carried there by people as they immigrated. That being said, here are some of the pests you should look out for:
Wasps are pretty common in New Zealand with the most prevalent species being the Asian paper wasp, German wasp, Australian paper wasp, and the common wasp. These pests sting painfully, and could cause a greater problem for people who are allergic. Watch out for them when outdoors and keep your doors and windows shut if they are not screened to avoid them getting into your residence.
If you are allergic to wasp stings, remember to park your EpiPen for outdoor excursions just in case. It’s better to be safe than sorry.
Although most of the spiders in the country are not harmful, their sight can be quite distressing to a lot of people who fear these crawlies. You might also encounter a poisonous one so it’s best to be on the lookout especially when outside.
They might look cute, but possums are one of the most notorious pests in New Zealand. Introduced into the country for their fur, their population has grown to distressing levels over the years. Possums could spread diseases and other pests such as ticks and fleas so be sure to keep them away from you.
These are some of the most common pests in the world. You can find ants virtually anywhere in the world, and New Zealand is no different. Take precautions to keep them out of you residence by cleaning up food related messes and covering your waste bins. Take measures to protect food when having picnics to keep them at bay.
Bed bugs are common everywhere especially in situations where people share accommodation such as hotels and hostels. Take extra precaution when staying in public boarding facilities by placing your luggage on elevated surfaces to avoid carrying these troublesome bugs to your home.
Pests are present everywhere in the world and should not be the reason for not having a good time when on holiday. Take the necessary pest control precautions and enjoy your time in New Zealand. Happy Holiday!
Latest posts by Ashley Bryan (see all)
- When Should You Use Labour Hire Services For Your Business? - August 27, 2017
- Get the Best out of your Talent with These Recruiting Tips - August 19, 2017
- What Does Your Business Credit Score Mean to You? - August 11, 2017